AUTOIMMUNITY: UNDERSTANDING THE ROLE GENETICS PLAY

AUTOIMMUNITY: UNDERSTANDING THE ROLE GENETICS PLAY

Autoimmunity and genetics? Have you been told by a doctor that your autoimmune disease is genetic and that your genes are your destiny?

According to research by Dr Alessio Fasano, your genes are a pre-existing condition to autoimmunity. In other words, your body needs to be genetically susceptible to recognise and potentially misinterpret, an environmental trigger as an invader.

However, it is now believed that genetics account for only 25% of the chance that you will develop an autoimmune condition. That means, the remaining 75% is environmental and therefore up to you.

Epigenetics furthermore suggests that our behaviour can influence which of our genes are turned on or off. What you eat, how you move, how you restore your system, along with your thoughts, feelings and social connections, regulate your genes.

Mark Hyman MD takes this a step further and suggests that 90% of our current health is controlled by the environment. The food we eat, our exercise regimen, our resilience to stress and our exposure to environmental toxins.