These environmental triggers include:
In this post, we’ll be looking at toxins. A simple fact of modern life is that we are surrounded by toxins. It is in our air, food, and water. In our homes, in our workplaces, in our dry-cleaned clothes and our expensive perfumes, even in our pillows and mattresses. The list goes on and on. Whether you live on a farm, in a small town, in a city or an industrial area, we are all exposed to toxins on a daily basis. Toxins hide in the food we eat, our cleaning products, our personal-care products, the medicine we take and even cosmetics.
A healthy body has the ability to naturally detoxify itself but the chronic exposure to these toxins for years and years could lead to chronic inflammation and an out-of control immune system. We now know that chronic inflammation and an over-stressed immune system could not only lead to the development of an autoimmune condition, but also feed existing autoimmune conditions.
It is impossible to eliminate all toxins from your life, but you are in control of what you allow and do not allow in your life.
- Get your house and workplace tested for toxic mould.
- Limit your exposure to heavy metals like mercury. Think mercury amalgam fillings in your teeth.
- Buy grass-fed, pastured and organic food where possible.
- Avoid cooking with plastic or toxic cookware.
- Use air and water filters at home.
- Avoid using plastic water bottles.
- Replace your personal-care products like shampoo, soap, deodorant, toothpaste, moisturiser, make-up and anything else you put on and in your body, with clean, toxin-free products.
- Read labels and educate yourself. Know what is safe and what is toxic. Knowledge is power!