I love carrot cake and have been trying to create a paleo (gluten, wheat, dairy and refined sugar free) carrot cake muffin for a while now. This was my 4th attempt and I can truly say that they finally came out beautiful, moist and delicious.
Carrot cake muffins
Deliciously moist paleo carrot muffins - naturally sweetened with apple and honey and gluten, wheat, dairy and refined sugar free.
- 2½ cup almond flour
- 4 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 4 eggs
- ⅔ cup melted coconut oil
- ½ cup honey
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 apples, chopped, cooked and pureed
- 1 cup finely grated carrot
- ½ cup chopped nuts
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 180℃ and line a muffin tray with 12 muffin liners.
- Step 2 Combine the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Step 3 In a large bowl, combine the eggs, honey, pureed apple and vanilla. Add the cooled coconut oil and mix well.
- Step 4 Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until just combined.
- Step 5 Fold in the grated carrot and chopped nuts.
- Step 6 Divide the batter evenly among the 12 liners and bake for 25 – 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Step 7 Let the muffins cool for 5 minutes in the tray and then place on a wire rack to cool completely.