I have spent two years, studying the work of experts in the field of autoimmunity and have combined what I’ve learned, in 24 steps. I’ll be sharing one step every week for the next 24 weeks, on my website and social media platforms (starting Monday 18 May 2020). This is step 13 of 24.
Facebook: Autoimmune Way
Instagram: Autoimmune Way
STEP 13: REPAIRING THE GUT
We know that 80% of the immune system is located in the gut. This means that if you don’t have a healthy gut, you won’t have a healthy immune system. Gut health is a critical step in reclaiming your health from autoimmunity.
Functional medicine has developed a very effective method of healing and protecting your gut. The method is called the 5R’s and consists of the following steps:
- Remove the bad (see step 10)
- Replace with the good (see step 11)
- Reinoculate with healthy bacteria (see step 12)
- Repair the gut (this step)
In this step we’re exploring the fourth R of healing the gut: Repairing the gut.
The first step was to remove anything and everything that negatively affects your gut or contributes to your leaky gut. The main culprits are foods, infections, toxins and stress.
The second step was to replace with the good by restoring the essential ingredients for proper digestion and absorption and by replacing inflammatory food with nutrient dense, gut healing, real food.
The third step was to reinoculate with healthy bacteria in the form of pre- and probiotics.
Be sure to first pay attention to steps 1 – 3, before you move to step 4.
You are now ready for the fourth R, repairing the gut.
To repair the gut, many functional medicine practitioners recommend the following supplements to assist with the healing process:
- L-glutamin, an amino acid that helps rejuvenate the gut wall lining.
- Zinc and vitamins A, C and E. These are key nutrients that can often be in short supply in a disease state.
- Omega-3 fish oil, to help decrease inflammation.
- Licorice root or aloe vera to soothe the gut and cool the inflammation.
- Collagen, the amino acids in collagen quite literally, “seal the leak” by supporting cellular health and tissue growth.
- Natural anti-inflammatories like turmeric and ginger.
Work with your functional medicine practitioner to find the perfect gut healing combo for your needs.
Are you ready to take back your health, starting with your gut? I invite you to join the Autoimmune Way program. It is a 6-month course that gently guides and supports you through each step in your healing journey.