As a rule we exclude dairy from our diet. But every now and then, I would surprise my daughter with something cheesy. These cheese scones are made with cheddar and are deliciously cheesy. You might not know this but cheese is surprisingly low in lactose. Follow the link for more info on cheese and lactose. Serve the scones with your favourite sugar free jam or chutney or even a zesty guacamole.
Cheese scones - gluten and wheat free
These scones are deliciously cheesy and gluten and wheat free.
- ½ cup ghee / coconut oil
- ½ cup coconut milk
- ½ cup water
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1¼ cup cassava flour
- 1¼ cup almond flour
- 3 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cup finely grated cheddar cheese
- Step 1 Combine the ghee, coconut milk, water and apple cider vinegar in a pot and bring to the boil while stirring.
- Step 2 Combine the cassava flour, coconut flour, baking powder, banking soda and salt and mix well.
- Step 3 Add the hot ghee and coconut mixture to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Step 4 Add the 2 eggs and cheese and mix until combined – get your hands in there.
- Step 5 Serve hot or cold with your favourite topping and store in an airtight container in the freezer for a couple of months.