Some mornings all I want is a bowl of warm and comforting porridge for breakfast. When it feels like you just cannot have one more egg for breakfast or when your green superfood smoothie just doesn’t do it for you anymore, try this delicious warm chocolate chia porridge. It’s free from gluten, wheat, dairy and refined sugar and quick and easy to make. To make this even healthier we’ve added a superfood blend of cacao, hemp and maca powder.
Maca is a medicinal plant that mainly grows high up in the mountains of Peru in harsh conditions. It is highly nutritious and contains several important vitamins and minerals. It may improve symptoms of menopause and may improve your mental wellbeing and mood by reducing depression and anxiety. Supplementing with maca may improve exercise performance, particularly during endurance events. Some evidence indicates that mace can improve learning and memory.
Cacao is the unprocessed chocolate superfood that’s turbocharged with magnesium, flavonoids (antioxidant), calcium, iron, zinc, copper, potassium and manganese to name a few. As raw cacao is made by cold-pressing unroasted cocoa beans these nutritional wins aren’t lost during processing. In addition, cacao contains a compound called phenylethylamine (PEA for short). PEA is thought to elevate mood and support energy, and is said to be one of the reasons that many people love chocolate!
Hemp seeds are the seeds of the hemp plant, Cannabis sativa. They are from the same species as cannabis (marijuana). However, hemp seeds contain only trace amounts of THC, the compound that causes the drug-like effects of marijuana.Hemp seeds are rich in healthy fats and essential fatty acids. They are also a great protein source and contain high amounts of vitamin E, phosphorus, potassium, sodium, magnesium, sulfur, calcium, iron and zinc. Although hemp seeds have not been popular until recently, they are an old staple food and people are now realizing their excellent nutritional value. Overall, hemp seeds are incredibly healthy. They might just be one of the few superfoods that are actually worthy of their reputation.
Photo: A saucy kitchen
Warm chocolate chia porridge
A delicious and comforting grain free porridge loaded with superfood.
- 4 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 cup water + ¼ cup water
- 1 tbsp nut butter
- 1 tbsp superfood powder blend (raw cacao, hemp and maca) or 1 tbsp raw cacao
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- Topping: sliced banana and apple, chopped nuts, coconut flakes and nut butter
- Step 1 Add the nut butter, 1 cup of water, cacao or superfood powder blend, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon and salt to a blender and blend to make a nut milk.
- Step 2 On the stove top, combine the chia seeds and nut milk in a pot and cook on a medium heat for 5 – 7 minutes, while stirring.
- Step 3 Add extra water while cooking if the porridge is too thick.
- Step 4 Serve in a pretty bowl and top with sliced apple, banana, chopped nuts, coconut flakes and a drizzle of nut butter.